Saturday, July 17, 2010

IQ or Qi?

I was just as obsessed with martial arts as any other 13 year old boy who saw Ralph Macchio kick the Cobra kai's asses in Karate Kid, so I convinced my parents to enroll me in a Kung Fu class. During this class I'd heard the word Qi used for the first time. My teacher didn't explain it explicitly, and the best I could decipher was it was some force of telekinetic energy that could move a floating match in a cup of water. (I'd heard this could be done, but had never seen it.) Being raised a Christian Scientist, a religion that spites it's name with a holistic dogma based on eastern philosophy, I was much more open to this kind of idea than most christian children. But soon disillusioned with anything that "couldn't be proven by scientific experimentation" in my high school chemistry class, I promptly forgot about Qi until the new karate kid movie came out and my nostalgic ass was roped into paying 12 bucks to watch the fresh prince's son beat up some Chinese kid. (insert Geo-political propaganda conspiracy here.)

You tube being an infinite source of data for any researcher (or any 13 year old boy), so I found many videos of 7th generation masters who could knock people over by doing some Tai Chi moves for few seconds. Accepting the possibility that this was real, I was impressed by way that this supposed force of QI acted upon the subjects- it didn't knock them over like a punch, it just made them increasingly dizzy until they couldn't stand anymore.

So how is this done? My concept of Qi had always equated it with " use the force, lucas"-- some ethereal energy that could be harnessed for telekinesis. But what I observed was something that impaired brain function directly. This ability would not work on inanimate objects-- something i had never considered before. This led me to a hypotheses that the brain function is impaired by a powerful magnetic field that is created by a static electric build up of energy of the Qi masters. Compressing the air between the wrists and moving that air cause electrostatic charge to build up due to the resistance of the pressured air over the skin surface. A negatively changed skin surface on both of your hands could be used to gather and contain air in a pressurized bubble- a positively charged ball of air that could be contained by a encompassing negative electric field created by the hands. Could this high pressure air be "thrown" to created a high pressure wave that make people dizzy?

Or perhaps the only truth is that all phenomena are the result of the quantity of belief in the existence of said phenomena. IQ or QI?

Hmmmm........

No comments:

Post a Comment